Developed by Pilgway, this program creates organic and hard surfaces from scratch. The idea was to offer different ways of modelling, like topology (automatic or manual), UV (automatic or manual) and re-topology, with a variety of tools and applications. 3D-Coat is specialized in voxel and polygonal sculpting, thanks to the Dinamic Patch Tessellation.
Thanks to the connection plug-in Applink, the program can perfectly work with such famous 3D animation and modelling programs as 3D Max, Maya or Cinema 4D. 3D-Coat is presented in two different versions: a simple version and the professional version, which gives you the opportunity to use full program possibilities and make commercial use of your work.
How to use
3D-Coat is a design application that brings your ideas to life, from simple polygon forms to an organic model or texturized hard surface. The software includes all kind of tools and applications for work on different kind of sculpting and texturizing techniques. 3D-Coat interface is quite like Photoshop, and combines the layer and mask system with personal brushes.
The software uses Disney’s famous Ptex system. This technology is used for production-quality rendering. 3D-Coat offers multiple render sources, such as lights, shadows, and depth of field to bring your creations to life. Re-topology workflow was completed by an innovative option called Auto-Retopology, that allows the user to model by just defining guides for the edge loops. The official website is full of tutorials and tips to download, and a link to its YouTube channel to get help to use the program. Feel free to get into the extensive web-community, where users form all around the world can help you with your work.
The menu display is quite intuitive. Dockable windows can be moved around the screen and saved as a preset to customize your work experience. The program is translated in eight languages and works on different platforms. The 3D acceleration was developed with nVidia CUDA technology that speeds up and enhances sculpting operation. 3D-Coat is compatible with Space-Navigator, a kind of mouse to improve your movements over the 3D space.
3d-Coat 4.0.04B Features
Check the newest features for 3D-Coat:
- Voxel sculpting. Forget about constraints and create complex details
- Paint directly on the mesh without geometry distortion
- Import all the layer information from and to Photoshop
- Re-topology and UV-Mapping
- 3DConnexion Support
- Nvidia CUDA acceleration to speed up Voxel sculpting workflow
- Render directly with 3D-Coat
For more information about 3D-Coat, before you download, please check the developers’ website .
Before you download and install the software, please check the minimum system requirements:
- Operating System: Windows 2000
- Processor: 1.2 GHz or higher
- RAM: at least 512Mb
- Hard Disk: minimum of 1GB of free space
- Video Card: Nvidia 9600 or 5600 with 128Mb or better
- DirectX 9.0c installed
- Three button mouse is highly recommended
- Intuitive Interface
- Web-community with tips, tutorials and help
- Supports eight languages
- Cross-platform editions
- “Team Fortress 2” free game autocompilation for the Workshop
- Not as powerful as other 3D modelling programs